You can get incredible value when you transfer Chase Ultimate Rewards points to a wide array of Chase travel partners. As standard cash back, Ultimate Rewards are only worth 1 cent each. The transfer to partners can often double or triple the cash back value of Chase Ultimate Rewards points and can easily be done online in less than a few minutes. No need to call. In this post, I go over the steps to turn Ultimate Rewards into miles or hotels points.
So far, in my Chase Ultimate Rewards Series, I’ve been explaining how to amass Chase Ultimate Rewards through the Ultimate Rewards mall, credit card signups and bonus categories. The next two posts will be covering how to use them wisely and get incredible value for your travel:
- Chase Ultimate Rewards Mall: Earn miles for regular shopping
- Card Review: Chase Freedom Card
- Card Review: Chase Sapphire Preferred
- Card Review: Chase Ink Bold/Ink Plus
- How to Transfer Ultimate Rewards Points to Airline and Hotel Partners
- Best Ways to Use Chase Ultimate Rewards Transfer Partners: Airlines
Chase Ultimate Rewards points transfer at a 1:1 ratio to nine partners: United Airlines Mileage Plus, British Airways Executive Club, Southwest Airlines Rapid Rewards, Korean Airways Skypass, Hyatt Gold Passport, Marriott Rewards, the Ritz-Carlton Rewards, IHG Rewards Club and Amtrak Guest Rewards.
You will need to already have an account with the travel partner before you transfer the Chase points. Also, keep in mind that except for IHG Rewards Club and Marriott Rewards, the points do transfer instantly so there is no need to transfer before you absolutely need to make the booking and are sure there is availability with your partner. Once you transfer the Ultimate Rewards points, you cannot transfer them back!
To be able to transfer points to airline and hotel partners, you must have one of the premium Chase Cards: Chase Sapphire Preferred, Chase Ink Bold or Chase Ink Plus. If you have one of these, you can transfer points from your accounts with other cards (such as the Chase Freedom card) to your accounts with these cards and then transfer them to travel partners. You can visit my tutorial for how to combine points between your Chase Freedom®, Chase Sapphire Preferred® and Chase Ink Bold® Business Charge Card and Chase Ink Plus® Business Card accounts. I will be covering in my next post the best redemption partners, but for now, let’s just learn to transfer the points:
1. Log into your Chase Online account.
2. On the upper right hand side, you will see your Ultimate Rewards account balance and below that an option to ‘Go to Ultimate Rewards’. Click on that.
3. Select the card you want to transfer points from and click on Go to Ultimate Rewards
4. On the top menu, you will see an option for Point Transfer.
5. On the next page, you will see Chase Ultimate Rewards airlines, travel and hotel partners. Select the partner you want among:
- Southwest Rapid Rewards
- United Mileage Plus
- British Airways Executive Club Avios
- Korean Air SkyPass
- Virgin Atlantic
- Marriott Rewards
- Hyatt Gold Passport
- IHG Rewards Club
- The Ritz-Carlton Rewards
- Amtrak Guest Rewards
6. Enter the number of Ultimate Rewards points you want to transfer (generally in increments of 1000), your account number and your first name and last name. In the example below, I selected United Mileage Plus as the transfer partner.
Have fun transferring!