Hilton HHonors has apparently sent out a targeted promotion to some members offering them instant Platinum status with American Airlines until January 31, 2015. I didn’t get targeted, but I heard about this from Loyalty Lobby. For those that can get in, this is a pretty awesome deal and here’s how it works:
- If you earn 9,000 elite qualifying miles in the three month period between October 27, 2014 and January 31, 2015 will actually get to keep the status until February 2016.
- As an added bonus for earning the status, you will get 20,000 Hilton HHonors points.
- If you are eligible, you must sign up by October 15.
You can check here if your account is eligible for the promotion. Note that many people get a vague message saying to call HHonors – if you see this message, you are likely not eligible.
I am currently Platinum with American Airlines and I do have to say it makes my travel a little bit easier and more seamless. Here are the things I do make use of:
- I get to go through the priority security line (I always cut it really close when getting to the airport – no lounge visits for me!)
- I get priority boarding, which is really handy for someone who doesn’t check bag and needs overhead space.
- I get access to the economy premium seating so I get to be closer to the front of the plane, deplane sooner and am in the taxi line sooner.
There’s also other perks like free checked bags, earning bonus miles, priority standby, earning 500 mile upgrades (I haven’t used any yet). Unfortunately, my Hilton number didn’t work for the promotion – which is a bit sad as I’ll only be Gold next year.
Was anyone able to get in on the promotion?
Full terms and conditions:
Hilton HHonors and American Airlines are teaming up to reward your frequent travel. Sign up by October 15, 2014 and you’ll receive American Airlines AAdvantage® Platinum status through January 31, 2015, complete with special upgrade privileges, 100% mileage bonus on eligible flights, free checked bags, priority check-in and more.*
Want to keep this good thing going? Simply fly on American, US Airways or other select airlines** to earn 9,000 AAdvantage elite–qualifying miles or points between October 27, 2014 and January 31, 2015. Your AAdvantage Platinum status will be extended through February 29, 2016, and you’ll also earn 20,000 HHonors Points that you can use at more than 4,000 hotels and resorts within the Hilton Portfolio.